Friday, January 23, 2009

Cult Status- 1990s


"My cult status keeps me alive"

This band has got to be one of my favorites in the history of time. The amount of swagger and braggadocio they have seems impossible, given their slight stature and small numbers. And yet, somehow, they achieve a level of bad-assery and bravado unheard of (by me at least) in many years. The frontman and singer, Jackie McKeown, had been kicking around the Scottish indie scene for a while, before 1990s came together. Formerly of The Yummie Furs, McKeown was something of a golden boy around Glasgow. When that band broke up, he languished in relative obscurity for a few years before forming 1990s. 1990s only intended to play a few parties thrown by McKeown's friends, but after their sixth show ever, they were approached by Rough Trade Records, (one of my favorite labels) and Cookies, one of my favorite albums ever, was recorded soon after that.

"Cult Status" is currently my favorite track on Cookies; it is supremely ill. Completely self-serving, full of constant skewerings of pop-culture- this song is almost too cool for school. Combine all this with a rhythm section that kicks you right in the pants, and you have a song that is unstoppable.


Cult Status - 1990s

Here's an extra gem: 1990s is set to release their sophomore album, Kicks, in March. They're recorded a few demos, and this one is my favorite so far.


The Box Demo - 1990s

And finally, I pose a question: do any of you know of a band band that has more swagger and is more bad-ass than 1990s? I don't think so. If you do, leave a comment.

No comments: